MEET THE GURUS
Alexis Barwise received his bachelor’s degree in Engineering (B.Eng.) in both Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the North-West University (NWU) in South Africa. He specialises in power quality and has completed Master’s degree subjects in both power quality and energy management at NWU.
He currently serves as an active member on both national and international standards and technical committees, such as IEC TC81, SANS 10142-1, SANS 10313. Recently he has been elected, by the SABS, as the Chairman of the TC81 mirror committee, a fitting position seeing as he has been serving as SA’s electedTechnical Expert on the IEC TC81.
While working for Schneider Electric, a global specialist in energy management, Alexis filled numerous roles as an electrical engineer. In 2012, Alexis was appointed as Managing Director of DEHN Africa and in 2017, he was appointed as Area Director for DEHN & SOHNE for the Americas, Middle East and Africa regions where he was exposed to different standards, design philosophies, and technologies.
Throughout his career, Alexis has written several technical articles and provided many training courses in in several countries around the world and has gained an in-depth knowledge as an electrical design engineer, systems engineer, and lightning protection engineer across several different industry sectors.
As the head of our residential division, JP has been involved in the industry for over 13 years where he started his career out of passion for energy management. He is a qualified electrician, plumber, project manager and solar specialist where he gained many years experience at Eskom and in the private sector. Jp has been installing solar PV systems since 2010.
His specialties lie in solar hot water systems, energy management and analysis, residential solar PV installations as well as being a Geyerwise specialist.
Jp is well recognised in the residential sector where he is known as the local “Solar Expert”. He has built his division primarily off of constant client referrals and 5 star reviews.
“This is not a job for me, it’s a passion” – JP
Carel’s involvement in the Renewable Energy sector spans more than 19 years and he has consulted to multi-national energy organisations on the development of strategies for the sector throughout Africa. As founder of PQRS he developed the most extensive database of solar PV installations in Africa and has been at the forefront of the development of a Quality Assurance Platform for the solar PV sector aiming to identify risks associated to SSEG RE projects.
Recently he has been focussing on various programs centred around the standards, training and development of the PV sector and has personally trained in excess of 5000 candidates in solar related technologies since 2014.
A few notable roles that Carel has fulfilled include:
– Ombudsman for the Solar Water Heating Rebate Programme through SESSA (The South African body representing the International Solar Energy society) from 2010 – 2012
– Founder of PQRS; the most active training institution in SA (2019) with a living research database of more than 138 000 solar PV installations.
– Member of the SABS working group for the local installations standard for PV and embedded generation systems.
– President of AREP (Association for Renewable Energy Practitioners); an industry initiative aimed at promoting the use of solar PV technology. The Association aims to unlock funding to the sector.
– As consultant he was contracted to Tesla, Enel, Eskom, Western Cape Government, Department of Energy, and a number of local and international EPC’s.